I did some digging and found that the F52 vBIOS update for my Gigabyte video card (GV-N640OC-2GI) supports UEFI.
In January 2014 I performed a clean install of Windows 8.1 on my year-old HP P7-1439 desktop computer. This machine originally came with Windows 8, but I installed Windows 7 Ultimate. So, I was making the round trip back to Windows 8 (actually 8.1). At the time, I was unaware of UEFI but eventually figured out the workaround. Install Windows 8 without the add-in video card, change the UEFI BIOS to enable legacy mode and disable secure boot. Then physically install the add-in video card and install the Nvidia software/driver.
This worked fine. But I wondered if Gigabyte offered a vBIOS that supports UEFI.
I looked here: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4255&dl=1#bios and used the VGA_@BIOS tool to determine that I had the F50 vBIOS. The site says to stay within the series when upgrading. So the upgrade is the F52. I emailed Gigabyte and they confirmed that this vBIOS supports UEFI.
After flashing F52, I can confirm that this vBIOS does indeed support UEFI. I went back to the UEFI/BIOS settings and disabled legacy mode and re-enabled secure boot.
In 2013 I set up an old Dell OptiPlex GX260 computer with a fresh install of Windows XP Pro SP3 and Internet Explorer 6. I use this machine to test eLearning courses that have to work with IE6. This machine is joined to my domain and is under the control of my WSUS server for updates. So, I have to be careful not to approve IE7 or IE8, and I imagine, related updates.
Platforms for Course Testing
This is just one of several platforms that I use to test LMS’s and eLearning courses. Others include IE9, IE10, IE11, Google Chrome, and Firefox, on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. We also normally have to test several versions of Safari on several generations of iPad as well as the Mac.
I can log into this machine, or any of my other machines, from anywhere using either Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) or Remote Web Access (RWA).
November 1, 2014 Update, eliminated IE6 Test Machine
I eliminated the GX260 machine that had IE 6. I replaced it with a Dell GX620 box with Windows XP Pro SP3 and Internet Explorer 8. This configuration is what some larger corporate clients still have deployed. I understand however, that the clock is ticking to eliminate these machines from corporate networks.
At the end of January 2013, Articulate released the fifth update to Storyline 1. This is the fourth “large” update since Storyline was release in May 2012. The January release contains 49+ changes. In my book, that’s a large update.
From a quick glance at the list of enhancements and defect fixes, it appears that a fair number of them are related to HTML5. Since producing content for mobile devices and particularly the iPad is a requirement these days, it makes sense that this relatively new tool (Articulate), should maximize it’s compliance with HTML5/iPad/Safari technology.
Two releases are named “Update 4.” Update 4 (1311.817) was released November 11, 2013 and contained 37+ updates. Update 4 (1311.1422) was released a few days later, November 15, 2013, and contained one update.
Read more about the updates (abbreviated release notes), here: http://www.articulate.com/support/storyline/issues-addressed-in-the-latest-articulate-storyline-update
After upgrading from ISA Server 2006 to Forefront TMG 2010, the Change Password feature in Outlook Web Access (OWA) stopped working. It gave a 403 page error. I looked high and low for a solution but found only poor/bad/incorrect/non-helpful information.
Clicking the Change Password link in OWA attempts to open this page:
In Internet Explorer, this page gives the error:
Error Code: 403 Forbidden. The server denied the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). Contact the server administrator. (12202)
The fix for me was to add /ecp/* on the Paths tab of the OWA rule in Forefront TMG.
1. On the Forefront TMG server, go to Firewall Policy > Exchange OWA (or whatever your OWA policy is called).
2. Select Edit Selected Rule on the Tasks tab. The Properties dialog opens.
3. Select the Paths tab.
4. Click Add and enter the internal path you want to allow. In my case, the hint came from the URL. I entered /ecp/*.
5. Click Apply, OK.